A few weeks ago we introduced you to the fascinating secret history of the Bloody Mary cocktail. Now a staple across the world, the Bloody Mary has a long and complicated story which you can learn about here.
Now it’s time to crack out the ingredients and dare to spice things up with our guide to the ultimate Bloody Mary.
- 2 parts vodka
- 4 parts tomato juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 splash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 to 4 dashes Tabasco
- ½ part lemon juice
- Stirring glass/shaker
- Collect your ingredients together with some ice in a shaker or stirring glass
- Shaker: tilt backwards and forwards to mix without making it frothy
- Glass: Stir vigorously
- Gently pour into a glass and top up with fresh ice until the drink is a couple of centimetres from the top
- Add any fresh herb or celery garnishing
If you are making this for a group of people it may be worth serving with tabasco on the side as some like it hotter than others.
Remember that all good cocktails are about balance and the Bloody Mary is no exception. If you want to mix things up a little try adding orange or lime instead of lemon, but you will need a little more to balance out the flavours.
The truth is there is no perfect recipe for a Bloody Mary. If you asked the top ten bartenders in the country they would probably tell you something different. But this is how we like it and we hope you do too.
Look out for our Bloody Mary Trolley and try it for yourself each Saturday and Sunday morning at The Cornwall.